Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dreaming Ahead...

A few good books from the library: 
The Homesteading Handbook by Abigail R. Gehring, At Least Someone in the City Would Hear me Sceam. by Wade Rouse (very funny/adult book,) and The City Homesteader by Scott Meyer. 

I love this time of year... time to plan for gardening, camps for Noah and our late summer vacation. 
The vacation plans are still very much up in the air as of now. We just don't know where we'd like to go this year. If Noah had his way we'd be back to Mackinac Island and Lake Huron. We've done that the past two years. This year our plans need to include Ruby Roo. We need to find a pet friendly vacation. We just may break it up into several smaller vacations, instead of one long one.  

As for camp; no more Harry Potter Camps are offered (a sad Noah) but I found a survival camp that looks fun and one of his buddies is joining him. Noah is still deciding on a zoo camp. Next year he'll be old enough for the teen zookeeper program. Autumn did this and really enjoyed it. I can't believe Noah will be thirteen this year...sigh. 

I would like to add some vertical gardening to the yard this spring. I have this wonderful sunny space next to our wood fence that would be perfect.  I'm giving up on squash and pumpkins...sad... but I'm tried of the squash beetles and I just don't have the space for them. I'll just stock up at the farmers market. I do love my summer squash and zucchinis! 

Do you have any summer plans in the works? I'd love to hear about them.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like you have some wonderful dreams in the works. We keep expanding our backyard garden. I'd like to think about moving vertically as well. With grocery prices rising, we try to increase what we preserve. I moved the herb garden last weekend and our first lettuce is growing. Jeff spent most of last summer battling with squash bugs. Yuck-o!

Anet said...

First lettuce! It's my favorite in the garden:)
That warm spell we had really had me in the mood for gardening.

Those squash bugs are so annoying! They squashed my dreams, that's what they did.

Lisa said...

i would love to plant any sort of garden...

the only thing we have planned so far is a sailing camp for Goose.
she leaves L.A. for Catalina Island for a week aboard a beautiul sailboat. she is soooo excited! i am thinking of fencing camp for Binky this year.

have a great week
lisa

Anet said...

Lisa,

I love the great opportunities you're part of the country offers. Sailing for a week! Goose is an adventurer:)
I'll have to tell Noah:)

I wish there was fencing around here that Noah could take. There is at the community college, but he's still a bit young for that... thank goodness!